Paluffo was rewarded with the “Green Travel Award 2014” as green accomodation of the year. in July 2014 Il Paluffo successfully achieved Platinum level in the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Program!
The owners believe in sustainable tourism, so Paluffo adopted sophisticated technologies in order to keep the carbon footprint around zero.
Electricity is locally produced by a photovoltaic power station that covers about the 60% of the annual consumption; heating and AC systems use a heat pump powered by photovoltaic panel, thermal solar panel produce up to 100% of the hot water used in bathrooms; during winter a pellet (compressed wood) high efficiency heating system can guarantee a comfortable warm temperature in all the houses.
Rainwater from the roofs is collected and re-used for garden irrigation; waste water is regenerated through herbal purification.
90% of bulbs are LED with 2700-3000 °K for the best comfort. The night lights are calibrated at 15 lux 2700°K in order to allow the observation of the night sky. Domestic appliances like oven, kitchen cooking plans, fridge are A or A+ certified.
During restoration, in order to be "green", all works were made by local artisans using local materials as cypress, chestnut and acacia wood, travertino stone or Carrara marble, terracotta tiles and bricks. Also latex matrasses and pillow are locally produced as well as the organic bath soaps.
Also the natural bio swimming pool, without any chemical component, makes Paluffo fully sustainable!
The calm and relaxing energy of Paluffo results from the delicate balance among nature and buildings, from the presence of ancient trees, from the use of traditional farming methods excluding the use of weed-killers, insecticides and indiscriminate exploitation of the soil, from the biodiversity of plants and flowers.
Paluffo is surrounded by six hectares of land on which olive trees and grape vines are organically cultivated interspersed with old fruit trees (peache, apple, pear, blackberry) and other trees typical of the Tuscan scrub.
Destination charging Tesla
In our eco lodge we believe in the preservation of the natural resources and in a sustainable tourism. For this reason we welcome electric vehicles owners with some dedicated parking spots where battery recharging is available with 380V and 220V standard plugs. We are also one of the first european Tesla Destination Charging with a 22kW charging capacity. During the day the electric energy is supplied by our solar power plant.
Paluffo has a particular historical interest because it is one of the oldest building in Certaldo area. The oldest section of Paluffo is the olive mill that is quoted in documents dating back the 1427. The main house was built in the 17th Century as well the other houses of Paluffo.
In 2005, when the restauration started, the Paluffo building was in poor conditions: all houses were abandoned or used as warehouse. Liana, daughter of the last Fossi and her husband Luca, decided to renovate Paluffo following their philosophy: a mixture of green building concept and traditional techniques. The masonry, made of stone, river pebbles and bricks, was consolidated; the new floors (when necessary) were made of local terracotta handmade tiles recalling the Florentine tradition; roofs were rebuilt; cypress windows were restored and the unique architectural features of the building were recovered with minimal invasive interventions. The renovation works found in the manor house 17th and 18th century frescos covered by white paint: now, after a careful restoration, they decorate the B&B bedrooms. All works were made by local artisans using locally produced materials as cypress, chestnut and acacia wood, travertino stone, terracotta tiles and bricks. Also latex matrasses and pillow are locally produced as well as the organic bath soaps.
When the work finished in 2010, rooms have been furnished combining antique furniture, mostly belonging to Paluffo house, and modern Italian design furniture with a light and minimalist touch that makes the Paluffo style unique. Special attention has been given to the comfort and functionality of rooms with central AC and heating.
Our Centuries Old History
Paluffo is one of the oldest building in Certaldo area. The oldest section of Paluffo is the olive mill that is quoted in documents of Repubblica Fiorentina dating back the 1427. At that times the mill and the houses in Citerna area (where Paluffo is located) belonged to the powerful Florentine families of Serragli and Bencini-Baldesi both involved in trade and bank activities. In 1427 Citerna area was known for the production of oil, wine, saffron, pork meat, linen, wheat and, of course, spelt, also known as dinkel wheat or hulled wheat or in Italian, farro.It is an ancient species of wheat from the fifth millennium BC. The main house, where is now the B&B, was built in the 17th Century, even if some rooms could be older. Over the centuries, the Paluffo building was modified and enlarged, three indipendent houses were built for families of country workers with wells, bread oven, cellar and the olive mill. Paluffo takes its name from the owners, the Paluffi family that lived there in the beginning of the 20th Century. For local people our house is traditionally called Paluffo or Paluffa.
We don't know exactly when the first Paluffi is dating back but, from archives of the local church we know that in 1769 Gerolamo Paluffi was living there and was married with Alessandra. At the end of the 17th century the manor house at the centre of the complex was renovated with frescoes of rural landscapes and grotesque. During the Italian unification (Risorgimento), in 1820-1848, Paluffo became a meeting place for patriots; their activities are still visible in the escape tunnels dug into the tufa rock. Even the Italian philosopher and politician Giuseppe Mazzini have stayed at Paluffo in 1830. Giuseppe Paluffi, captain of the Royal Army who really loved this building and the country around, gave the Paluffo property to his daughter Adelaide as wedding gift in the beginning of the 20th century. From 1910 to 2004 Paluffo has been the holiday house of Fossi family, descendant of Paluffi. During the II World War Paluffo house was used by Allied forces as headquarter.
Across many centuries, the Paluffo has always remained among the family's properties and now is managed by Liana with love and passion as her ancestors.